Focused on FUNdamentals
Elementary School Sign-Up Is Open!
Brooks Basketball Academy is now accepting Elementary School sign-ups for its Fall 2019 After-School Basketball Skills Training Program — Focused on FUNdamentals. The program is available to Elementary Schools in and around Collin County, Texas.
What is Focused on FUNdamentals?
This fun and instructive athletic program teaches boys and girls the basic rules, key concepts and fundamentals of the game of basketball! Participants learn skills like dribbling, footwork, passing, shooting, rebounding and playing defense. Speed and agility training, along with conditioning help promote fitness and physical health. All drills, instruction and game scenarios are tailored to the participants’ skill level and ability.
Focused on FUNdamentals is an 8-week program offered to students one day a week for 60 minutes. Students learn and train on school grounds, in the gymnasium or on the outdoor court, immediately following regular school hours.
The program follows a detailed curriculum based on a weekly skill emphasis. Take-home assignments are available to students who want to practice between weekly sessions, and parents are provided pre- and post-assessment reports to track their child’s growth and development.
Beyond Skills Training – Lessons for Life
While basketball engages children in lively physical fitness activity, the sport also helps build character by instilling confidence and teaching many life lessons that benefit children both on and off the court:
- Positive Attitude
- Hard Work and Determination
- Mental and Emotional Resilience
- Team Work
The program fee is $160 per registered student. Once a school chooses to offer the program, parents or guardians can easily submit the fee through the Register page on our website, or send a check to Brooks Basketball Academy, P.O. Box 3013, McKinney, TX 75070.
Classes Are Led by MVC Hall of Famer Darren Brooks, Owner and Head Trainer, Brooks Basketball Academy
Darren Brooks founded Brooks Basketball Academy in 2012 to share his love of the game and wealth of experience with aspiring young basketball players.
About Coach Brooks
- Played Division I basketball at Southern Illinois University (SIU)
- First player in Missouri Valley Conference (MVC) history to win Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year in back-to-back seasons
- Awarded MVC 1st Team All-Conference, All-Defensive Team, and All-Tournament Team
- Pictured on the cover of Sports Illustrated, March 2005
- Four NCAA Sweet Sixteen appearances
- Earned a spot on the MVC All-Centennial Team honoring the 50 Greatest Players
- Finished college in the Top 10 in scoring, wins, rebounds, assists, steals, and 3-pointers
- Played in the NBA Summer League and NBA Development League
- Played professionally in top leagues in Germany, Australia, Poland, Cyprus and Puerto Rico
- Inducted into the SIU Hall of Fame in 2011
- Became a member of SIU Men's Basketball All-Century Team in 2014
- Inducted into the MVC Hall of Fame in 2018
“Coach Brooks is not only serious about the game of basketball, but you can tell he is passionate about children in general. He takes the time to get to know each and every one of his players and seeks to connect with them in a meaningful way. Coach Brooks is an excellent mentor and an even better trainer!” – Rebecca C.
School Sign-Up Form
Your school can sign up for the Fall 2019 program in one of two ways:
- Complete and submit our online form below.
- Download the School-Sign-Up-Form.pdf and email the completed form to us.
OPEN SLOTS FOR SCHOOLS ARE LIMITED!
Let us know your school’s interest today by submitting the form above. You can also call or write to learn more.
Student Registration Form
Before registering, please contact us to find out if your Elementary School will host the Fall 2019 program.
Students can be registered for the program in one of two ways:
- Complete and submit the form on our website registration page.
- Download the Student-Registration-Form.pdf and email the completed form to us with payment.
Contact Us for More Information
View, download and print our Flyer.pdf