Sign-Up Is Now Open!
Brooks Basketball Academy is now accepting school sign-ups for its 2019-2020 After-School Basketball Skills Training Program — PRESS. The program is available to Elementary and Middle Schools in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex.
What is PRESS?
PRESS is an after-school program that engages students in basketball skills training, cooperative games and competitive play, while also teaching sustainable life lessons, fostering social and emotional learning (SEL) and promoting physical fitness.
PRESS is offered to students one day a week for 60 minutes. Students learn and train in their school's gymnasium, following regular school hours.
The program follows a detailed curriculum based on five key components: Check-In, Conditioning, Skills Training, Cooperative Games/Competitive Play and Wrap-Up. Instruction focused on building fundamental skills like Ball Handling, Footwork, Dribbling, Passing, Shooting and Defensive Strategies. Take-home assignments are available to students who want to practice between sessions and our coaches track the growth and development of each child.
Beyond Skills Training – Lessons for Life
While basketball engages children in lively physical fitness activity, the sport also helps build character by instilling confidence and teaching many life lessons that benefit children both on and off the court:
- Positive Attitude
- Hard Work and Determination
- Mental and Emotional Resilience
- Team Work
Classes Are Led by MVC Hall of Famer Darren Brooks, Owner and Head Trainer, Brooks Basketball Academy
Darren Brooks founded Brooks Basketball Academy in 2012 to share his love of the game and wealth of experience with aspiring young basketball players.
About Coach Brooks
- Played Division I basketball at Southern Illinois University (SIU)
- First player in Missouri Valley Conference (MVC) history to win Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year in back-to-back seasons
- Awarded MVC 1st Team All-Conference, All-Defensive Team, and All-Tournament Team
- Pictured on the cover of Sports Illustrated, March 2005
- Four NCAA Sweet Sixteen appearances
- Earned a spot on the MVC All-Centennial Team honoring the 50 Greatest Players
- Finished college in the Top 10 in scoring, wins, rebounds, assists, steals, and 3-pointers
- Played in the NBA Summer League and NBA Development League
- Played professionally in top leagues in Germany, Australia, Poland, Cyprus and Puerto Rico
- Inducted into the SIU Hall of Fame in 2011
- Became a member of SIU Men's Basketball All-Century Team in 2014
- Inducted into the MVC Hall of Fame in 2018
“Coach Brooks is not only serious about the game of basketball, but you can tell he is passionate about children in general. He takes the time to get to know each and every one of his players and seeks to connect with them in a meaningful way. Coach Brooks is an excellent mentor and an even better trainer!” – Rebecca C.
School Sign-Up Form
Your school can sign up for the Fall 2019 program in one of two ways:
- Complete and submit our online form below.
- Download the School-Sign-Up-Form.pdf and email the completed form to us.
OPEN SLOTS FOR SCHOOLS ARE LIMITED!
Let us know your school’s interest today by submitting the form above. You can also call or write to learn more.
Student Registration Form
Before registering, please contact us to find out if your Elementary School will host the Fall 2019 program.
Students can be registered for the program in one of two ways:
- Complete and submit the form on our website registration page.
- Download the Student-Registration-Form.pdf and email the completed form to us.
Contact Us for More Information
View, download and print our Flyer.pdf